The symmetric key
- Used with the modern AES algorithm, for speed and security
- Can encrypt any amount of data (size)
- Is fast (compared to x509)
In this implementation it is
- Always encrypted when stored in Azure Table, or in the DEV Fabric. You can use storage explorer to verify this
- It is only decrypted when in memory.
- It is used to encrypt all properties of the Azure Table.
- The symmetric key itself is encrypted by the X509 certificate that has been securely escrowed away in the management portal at
, or installed locally in your Local Computer\User store.